Dollar Rent a Car in Honolulu airport was told when I picked up my car that I had already purchased insurance on it because I wanted to be covered for everything.The girl at the counter (at 9:30 at night after 16 hours in the air) said uh huh, so you already have the insurance, I said yes...she wrote up the slip and I signed it without checking to see what she had done.

She signed me up for EVERY POSSIBLE INSURANCE THEY PROVIDE and a 465.00 bill turned into a 798.00 payment. Their response? "Well, I don't know what the conversation you had with our representative was but you signed it so there's nothing we will do about it. I asked for their legal department, she gave me a P.O.

Box number.

If anyone wants to get involved in a class action against Dollar-Rent-A-Car count me in.baydolphins2003n@aol.com

Review about: Dollar Rent A Car Car Rental.

Had an Experience with Dollar Rent A Car?

Comments

I got bit with a $15 "Administrative Fee" on along with a claim that they got a $0.75 cent toll charge when I used their car.Their leeter says that you can end up to 7 ($105.00) administrative fees.

I cannot see any way I was on a toll road at the time and date indicated, but how can I prove otherwise?

When renting from other companies they provided toll passes with no obscene fees.

The "savings" from selecting Dollar is gone.

I won't make this mistake again.I will also tell as many people as I can about this poor way they treat customers.

acroghan
Baltimore, Maryland, United States #603272

Us too!!

Deceptive and unethical procedures!

We completed and online registration for a rental car with Dollar on Sunday December 23rd, 2012. The registration was detailed ad exactly what we wanted and we received a Grand Total price and a Confirmation number N3101953.

When we arrived the line was very long and we had our 3 young children with us, who are 3, 5, and 6 years old. After waiting just under 55 minutes we were finally next. I handed the Dollar agent our confirmation sheet that detailed exactly what we ordered and agreed to. He then proceeded to try and sell us an upgrade, then a GPS system, and then Insurance. We politely told him that we did NOT need any of those and that all we wanted was what we had already ordered and reserved online.

We trusted him to honor what we ordered and what we handed him and with a crying baby in my arms and two boys saying that they needed a bathroom I simply signed the screen several times not reading through each line.

We received a printout which was very small print and not very legible but we continued to get the kids to the restroom and didn’t really think anything of it.

Once we were on the lot there was no one around to help us – we found a car which was the last one on the aisle and then proceeded to load are bags into the van. I did a walk around with my wife and took pictures of the van both inside and out before we pulled out of the space.

We noticed a small dent...

On the way off the lot I stop and got out the meet the check-out girl that was at the exit. I should her the marks, dent and scratch – she then noted it all on the contract and as we began to drive off we realized that someone had left a completely wet floor mat up on the roof of the car (Black van and back mat and it was dark) so we didn’t notice until ready to drive down the road.

All these were minor inconveniences and the worst was the nearly hour wait to get in a car.

The reason for filing the report is that after everything we told the Dollar agent he still added the insurance and are original online Grand Total of $379.33 soon became a $556.57!

I know that $177 may not seem like a big deal – my point is the fact that I feel exploited and ripped off and when we asked to have it corrected we were treated very rude by Vanessa who spoke with her manager and said that I had signed the contact and should have read it closer. I explained that I’m a small business owner and that I’m not trying to get something for nothing just that we had a confirmation and a price for what we wanted and that we said we did NOT want the insurance yet their rep added anyways.

Her response to me was “Sir you said that you are a business owner, therefore you must read a lot of contracts and why did you sign for this if it was wrong!”

I could not believe the arrogance and we received little help when I called the corporate to report how we were treated.

At this point nothing was done and I have lost all trust and confidence with Dollar, ethics, and their customer service.

Dollar Rental Car Charged us $1500 for what they claimed was a scratch on a rim, even though the car was fine when we turned it in...

WTF?!?!

We tried to address, they said they could possibly have someone contact us within 14-21 business days.

Dealing with the Credit Card company instead.

This company should be shut down.

white6lima@yahoo.com

I had the same thing happen, i was in hawaii and refused the insurance and initialed to accept the insurance waiver but they charged me the insurance anyway, it turns out the "waiver" is accepting their insurance of $350. i want a class action lawsuit!

Similar story...

Just got back from a few days in L.A. When I rented the car I was presented with the option for "Basic Insurance" or "Premium Insurance". Knowing that rental cars MUST actually carry proper insurance, paid for by the rental company, regardless of whether you buy their ridiculous CDW, I stated that I did not want any insurance. I assumed, having been presented with only two choice, that "Basic" referred to what is included in the rental I had already paid for. I told the clerk that my personal auto package extended to rental vehicles as well as my having coverage through the Gold VISA that I rented with. I told him in no uncertain terms that I did not wish to have any optional insurance coverages. As I was given only two choices between the basic and the premium, I assumed basic was the insurance included. I had also been very clear that I did not wish to pay for insurance. The crook behind the counter nodded his agreement and then walked me through the items on the touch screen display, instructing me what option to hit each time. At no time was there ANY mention of an additional cost. I would absolutely have restated my choice that the rental NOT include any insurance through the company. It is a well-ochestrated scam, NOT an honest misunderstanding!

I returned the car and was shocked to discover they were charging my credit card $80 for two days of their crappy insurance. I went inside to complain to the manager and was told...

I intend to file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, the California Tourism folks, the BBB, and anyone else I can think. I am also going to urge my travel agent (and others) to stop representing these low-life dirtbags!

You scammed the WRONG person this time Dollar!

Here is a happy thought... we should all go rent a Dollar vehicle this weekend, complete with all their BS insurance coverage, and then engage in a little off-road rally. Paying so much for optional insurance ought to provide us walk-away protection when we return their vehicle in somewhat the worse-for-wear condition. :)

I am dollar employee ( times are hard sucks working there but a job is better than no job).....company is piece of ***..all my managers are ignorant *** holes not qualified to manage a bathroom let alone 6000 car operation....agents at the counter are paid below minimum wage and make up to 12% commission and the older ones who have been there for a while are taking home 5-6k per mnth.....the company knows the employees are *** artist and reward them for it....I see the same agents getting complaint after complaint and still raking in the dough.....if u fail to obtain an average 30 per day upsale of additional options for three mnths u are automatically terminated and not eligable for unemployment.....they constantly overbook and are understaffed

Our rep said do you want to pay more for the full coverage or do you just want the basic?I said no we just want the basic, whatever it comes with and was charged for $170 in optional coverage.

Manager acted horrible and left me standing there for an hour before refunding half of what they ripped me off for.

What a bunch of liars.I am dispusting the rest with my credit card company.

Dollar car rental at Honolulu airport, just got back we too got scammed we didn’t want the insurance at all and was told we had to get it.

I told her I wanted the cost that I was quoted…

The night before our flight got canceled and I called the up to tell them I didn’t need the car today but will need it tomorrow

He said that it would be $75 dollars more , I told him to forget it and cancel it I then went online and rebooked it for 20 bucks more and got a nicer car.

investigativeguy

Yes Dollar loves to confuse consumers and sign them for insurance they never asked for.It is a hustle and consumers must stand up to this bait and switch. Send us details

investigativeguy@gmail.com