I showed up in Las Vegas (McCarran airport) at Dollar Rent A Car ,and when asked about insurance I told the agent that I had already purchased insurance;had plenty of it and did not want to purchase anymore. .He filled out the paperwork (online) and said initial here and had me sign on a very small screen where I had no opportunity to see/read what I was signing . Assuming when someone asks you if you want insurance and you say NO you have it, they won't attempt to scam or *** you, I signed and when I got back home I found that they had billed me approximately $206.00 for insurance when I had already said I didn't need it.

They also scammed me out of another 90.00 by never revealing that they would charge me 10.00 per day (total of 9 days) because my husband would be the driver and the credit card used was in my name and NOT his. All they did is ask my husband for his license and never mentioned anything about additional fees. If I knew I would have used my husband's credit card since I wasn't going to drive.

I called customer service to complain and their response was, "I don't know what conversation you had with the guy at the desk but you signed it." I consider this not only a bait and switch tactic but unethical and an outright scam and *** action worthy of legal response.

Review about: Dollar Rent A Car Customer Care.

Had an Experience with Dollar Rent A Car?

Comments

acroghan
Baltimore, Maryland, United States #603271

Deceptive and unethical procedures!

We completed and online registration for a rental car with Dollar on Sunday December 23rd, 2012. The registration was detailed ad exactly what we wanted and we received a Grand Total price and a Confirmation number N3101953.

When we arrived the line was very long and we had our 3 young children with us, who are 3, 5, and 6 years old. After waiting just under 55 minutes we were finally next. I handed the Dollar agent our confirmation sheet that detailed exactly what we ordered and agreed to. He then proceeded to try and sell us an upgrade, then a GPS system, and then Insurance. We politely told him that we did NOT need any of those and that all we wanted was what we had already ordered and reserved online.

We trusted him to honor what we ordered and what we handed him and with a crying baby in my arms and two boys saying that they needed a bathroom I simply signed the screen several times not reading through each line.

We received a printout which was very small print and not very legible but we continued to get the kids to the restroom and didn’t really think anything of it.

Once we were on the lot there was no one around to help us – we found a car which was the last one on the aisle and then proceeded to load are bags into the van. I did a walk around with my wife and took pictures of the van both inside and out before we pulled out of the space.

We noticed a small dent in the passenger...

On the way off the lot I stop and got out the meet the check-out girl that was at the exit. I should her the marks, dent and scratch – she then noted it all on the contract and as we began to drive off we realized that someone had left a completely wet floor mat up on the roof of the car (Black van and back mat and it was dark) so we didn’t notice until ready to drive down the road.

All these were minor inconveniences and the worst was the nearly hour wait to get in a car.

The reason for filing the report is that after everything we told the Dollar agent he still added the insurance and are original online Grand Total of $379.33 soon became a $556.57!

I know that $177 may not seem like a big deal – my point is the fact that I feel exploited and ripped off and when we asked to have it corrected we were treated very rude by Vanessa who spoke with her manager and said that I had signed the contact and should have read it closer. I explained that I’m a small business owner and that I’m not trying to get something for nothing just that we had a confirmation and a price for what we wanted and that we said we did NOT want the insurance yet their rep added anyways.

Her response to me was “Sir you said that you are a business owner, therefore you must read a lot of contracts and why did you sign for this if it was wrong!”

I could not believe the arrogance and we received little help when I called the corporate to report how we were treated.

At this point nothing was done and I have lost all trust and confidence with Dollar, ethics, and their customer service.

I didn't realize you guys did this.  Priceline will hear about your scam and every on line connection to dollar will hear as well.  I reserved a car through priceline. The agent at mke gave me the option of paying more money or wait for five hours to get the car we reserved.  He expected my family to stand in the cold for five hours in an effort to force an upgrade.

All thus during my mothers funeral.

You guys are cold hearted and you suck for doing this.  I rented from budget at the next counter.  The budget lady heard the whole thing and couldn't believe it. She gave us the rate we reserved and an upgraded vehical.   We will never call dollar again.  Shame on you and your company

Mike

Sent from my portable.

This scam is run at Dollar offices all over the country.You tell them you dont want insurance and they tell you ot sign a small screen and then give you a folded contract.It is only when you return the car do to find out you bough extra insurance. If you got scammed tell us we investigate

investigativeguy@gmail.com

The same thing just happened to me at Dollar Rent-A-Car at the Orlando International Airport.I specifically told the rental agent that I did not want any kind of insurance coverage and made the mistake of assuming that he would honor that directive.

Instead, he rushed me through the initialing/signing process on the electronic screen and skipped right over the part about insurance being included. Then he prints off a copy of the rental agreement, folds it up, and puts in an envelope with a bunch of other paperwork. Every part of this process is a carefully planned and rehearsed piece of their scam puzzle. They know that most of their renters are already tired from traveling and tired of waiting in lines - including their own - so the chances are pretty good that they can sneak something past an unsuspecting customer.

Don't think for a second that these rental agents aren't rewarded for "selling" the add-ons like unnecessary insurance.

Will never even consider renting from Dollar/Thrifty again.

BTW; Urmom, I fully understand personal responsibility and I paid the bill.However, being caught off guard or assuming that a company you choose to do business with will be honest and forthright doesn't make it okay for them to be unscrupulous.

True u should atleast read the few screens u have to sign and look at ur reciept.....however the employees are incentivized to take advantage of the customers extreme irritation...long lines high pressure sales and rambling for 15 mins or longer with each customer is absolutley ridiculous.....the corporate guys in charge need to clean house and high a competant staff and eleminate their poorly organized and sorry excuse for a company

#432013

YOU SIGNED IT !Stop complaining.

Be responsible for your own decisions in life.And you lied to the customer service when you said you bought insurance already, since you couldn't have possibly done so, and they know this, since it's not even possible.