3.0
Additional Fees
Additional Services
Insurance Quality

Update by user Jul 21

UPDATE: When speaking to Dollar's so called "Customer Service" I was informed I would "need to contact the location" as there is "nothing we can do". Of course after asking several times they have yet to offer me the proper phone number to "contact the location" or offer me a name of someone to speak with. Such a terrible experience - these folks have lost a customer and his entire extended family as well.

Original review posted by user Jul 21

Rented a car from LGA Dollar Rent A Car facility (LaGuardia in New York).Rental contract mentions NOTHING about any special animal cleaning services required.

In fact only mention of "Animal" is in an exclusion for liability clause. Returned car, in a hurry, and yes there was some dog hair on backseat (two 15 minute drives with my 89 year old mother's terrier - a tiny, clean, well behaved dog.) Woman checking me in said "Did you have a dog in here?." "I said yes for maybe 30 minutes." She informed me that "well you need to go get this vacuumed" (she could tell it would take but a moments effort to clean it up) . I said, "What is there like an extra cleaning charge and what is it?" She answered "You won't like it". I replied "well I am in a hurry to catch my flight to get home for Father's Day and I do not have time for this" ...

at which point I discovered the "cleaning fee" was $350 dollars. A totally outrageous sum. Do the math - if one was paying an employee $35/hour that would STILL allow them 10 hours to clean the car. Literally it could be vacuumed in less than 10 minutes - so even if we said it will take an hour to clean it (ridiculous, but still) are they now paying people $350/hour to clean cars at Dollar?

I think I might apply! Oh, and just by the way isn't vacuuming part of the normal cleaning of the car? Anyway "Would you like to talk to the manager" I said "no, this is insane but I have to catch a flight and do not have time to argue." I likely used some saltier language as an adjective about how I felt about it. Then the bill says "customer accepted the charge" to which I reply I DID NOT.

Attached is a photo of the back seat. YES, there is dog hair. It could be vacuumed in no time flat. Paying someone $70 an hour to pick each individual hair off with tweezers still covers 5 hours of work at that $350 charge.

Preposterous.An unjustified and unexpected fee of this amount is beyond consumer fraud - it is an outright theft.

Review about: Dollar Rent A Car Car Rental.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Over charging for fees and misleading infromation from rep, 350 cleaning fee is preposterous.

Had an Experience with Dollar Rent A Car?

Comments

They all charge for this.The fact that customers are in a hurry is besides the point.

Berating the check-in agent was low class.

Anytime a pet is in a rented accommodation, be it a motel or car, there's always a charge. It's your responsibility to find out what that charge is before you allow the pet access.

You left out the possibility of the smell left behind by the dog.

IMO, $350 is not unreasonable for New York, based on industry pricing.